In this article, we assume you already narrowed down exactly what you are experiencing and believe that it’s cause is Acid Reflux. If you are Not sure what the cause is, We recommend you read our Comprehensive Article “Choking while Sleeping Causes, Complications, and Treatment“
Do you think you are suffering from Acid Reflux or GERD? Read further
What is happening: Waking up Choking at Night While Sleeping
These kinds of episodes are quite frightening. When this happened to me I would violently be awoken and have trouble breathing. Breathing became painful, sometimes for days, and it’s quite possible some content went into the mouth and lungs. Many times my heart started to race and I got sweaty.
When the above happened the acid and stomach content can cause Acid Reflux induced asthma. When acid goes in your mouth it splashes on your teeth and can cause damage to them. The worst thing you could do for your teeth are brush them right away. My dentist told me that he could see the signs of Acid Reflux on his patient’s teeth. He also told me to rinse my mouth and wait a while, rinse again and then brush – the same goes for acidic foods.
The things you could do before going to bed:
Is all the life style changes, from losing weight, to staying away from offending foods such as acidic foods, fatty foods, caffeine, chocolate, carbonated drinks, etc. – these are the hard thing to do, it takes planning and discipline.
Reasons why these life style changes help:
Many of these foods relax the sphincter muscles or add gas to your stomach increasing upward pressure and/or therefore requiring less pressure for acid and Stomach content to get into the esophagus.
How To Stop Acid Reflux At Night Choking While Sleeping
The things you could do when sleeping:
1. Don’t eat for a few hours before going to bed.
2. Start off sleeping on the left-hand side.
3. Lifting the head of the bed. Not to brag, okay I will, a Reflux Guard is a great simple way to lift the entire sleeping surface.
4. Getting checked for sleep apnea – snoring on its own can pull acid and stomach content right out of the stomach according to the book titled “Sleep Interrupted” by Dr. Steven Park a John Hopkins educated ENT.
The Reasons why the above sleeping suggestions work.
1. The less undigested food the less upward pressure and less to come out of the stomach.
2. The angle of the esophagus and position of the stomach in the left position is less likely to cause Reflux.
3. Lifting the head of the bed utilizes gravity all nigh long, which reduces upward pressure.
4. Not only can snoring lift acid and stomach content out of the stomach using a cpap machine adds downward pressure and therefore less likely for someone to Reflux.
We recommend you read our latest Comprehensive Article “Choking while Sleeping Causes, Complications, and Treatment”
Stop Acid Reflux Choking While Sleeping With Bed Wedge: